Start/Finish Location: Pier A, Battery Park, New York, NY
2020 Registration Opens: Early 2021
Event Dates: TBD
The cost for 20 Bridges is $3000. This covers your boat/boater, observer and kayak/kayaker. You will be allowed two crew members maximum. The cost for swimmers 25 and under is $2000.
* Withdrawal before April 1: swimmer gets a full refund minus a $300 processing fee.
* Withdrawal after April 1: swimmer will be refunded entire fee minus their deposit of $750. However, if their swim spot cannot be filled the swimmer will not be refunded.
* Withdrawal 14 days prior to event day: No refunds
You are welcome to raise funds for a cause when you swim 20 Bridges as long as you abide by the following guidelines.
* The organization you are raising funds for must be a registered charity or not-for-profit organization.
* This organization can not represent a religious or political cause.
* All proceeds must go to the charity you are fundraising for. You can not fund your swim through your fundraising efforts.
20 Bridges Selection Criteria:
Entries are no longer ranked by their timestamp, so swimmers should take their time to make a strong application. Instead, we will be putting an emphasis on swimmer resume. Criteria will include:
- Completed recent and less recent marathon swims
- Field diversity for each date (age, gender, nationality)
- Swimmer schedule (EC, CC bookings)
- Participation as a NYOW volunteer
- Preferred swim dates
- Cold water experience (For 20 Bridges-1 on June 1)
What can I prepare in advance for the application form?
* Emergency contact name & relationship:
* Emergency contact phone number:
* Medical conditions
* List your marathon swimming experience over the past three years.
* List any other marathon swimming experience.
(Do not included relays, wetsuited swims etc in these two fields)
* List any other athletic activities you would like us to consider in your application.
* List your pace for one hour of swimming hard in a pool.
* List the distance you swim per week during peak marathon training.
* Water temperatures on June 1 will be as low as 60 ̊F. To be considered for this date list your cold water experience.
* Include a one to three paragraph biography about yourself including your marathon swimming experiences.
* Include a photo of yourself that we have permission to use on our website and social media platforms.
* Provide your feeding plan for a marathon swim.
* Name of charity you are fundraising for.
The 20 Bridges around Manhattan Island include:
Hudson River (date built/length):
1. George Washington Bridge (1931/1,450.85 meters)
Harlem River (date built/length):
2. Spuyten Duyvil Bridge (1899/186 meters)
3. Henry Hudson Bridge (1936/673 meters)
4. Broadway Bridge (1962/170.08 meters)
5. University Heights Bridge (1908/82 meters)
6. Washington Bridge (1888/723.9 meters)
7. Alexander Hamilton Bridge (1963/724 meters)
8. High Bridge (1848/600 meters)
9. 18. Macombs Dam Bridge (1895/774 meters)
10. 145th Street Bridge (1905/489 meters)
11. Madison Avenue Bridge (1910/577 meters)
12. Park Avenue Bridge (1954/100 meters)
13. Third Avenue Bridge (1898/853.44 meters)
14. Willis Avenue Bridge (1901/979 meters)
15. Triborough Bridge (1936/230 meters)
16. Wards Island Bridge (1951/285.6 meters)
East River (date built/length):
17. Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge (1909/1,135 meters)
18. Williamsburg Bridge (1903/2,227.48 meters)
19. Manhattan Bridge (1909/2,089 meters)
20. Brooklyn Bridge (1883/1,825 meters)